Sunday, September 20, 2009

Kickapoo river, Sept. 20

This was an all-day trip; we camped at nearby Wildcat mountain state park the night before. We put in at Ontario, got out at bridge 14. The distance was 15 miles, which took us about 7 hours including lunch stop and afternoon break. The scenery was as advertised. But there were so many other boats, many full of vociferous drinkers, that I didn't see a single bird, well except some blackbirds. This is a very popular destination. The river was low so it was more of a challenge technically, which I enjoyed. I learned from Ed that the water is usually deepest on the outside of the turn. It's good to go out with other people and get tips. He also showed me how to tie a hitch knot but I've already forgotten.

Here are some scenery shots:































Lunch break:
















More of the gang. There were 8 of us.
















It's a beautiful drive out there on the back roads. I took some county roads on the way home and could see how you could be as isolated from the rest of the world as you want out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment